Your Free Weekly Read: From The Ex Files

The economy is tight for all of us and as much as I want everybody to buy my books, I know some people might not be able to pick up one right now. That's cool, hopefully in November, you'll be able to pick up "Betting On Love."
You can always check out my books on Amazon.

But until then, I want to share a short story with you, titled From The Ex Files. I plan to update it for the next four weeks until the story is done.

From The Ex Files
By Cheris Hodges

As my ex-husband sat across from me at Starbuck’s holding my hand and pleading with me to attend his wedding reception the next weekend, I realized why our marriage didn’t last.
This man didn’t understand the meaning of the word no. Or as my brain was screaming, hell no.
“Pilar, we’ve always been friends, I want you to be there.”
“But I don’t want to be there,” I replied as I took a sip from my frothy latte. “Kendall will be there, I’m going to see to it.”
Xavier Brooks smiled at me as he did when we were students at North Carolina A&T University and my heart did the same somersault that it did that first day he’d said hello. If only I could reach into my chest and replace that organ with one that wasn’t effected by Xavier’s bright smile and white teeth.
“I’ve known you a lot longer than I’ve known Kendall,” he said.
Part of me wanted to toss my coffee in his face. “You idiot, Kendall’s your daughter.”
Xavier’s smile faded. “I know that, but once upon a time you were my best friend and that’s all I was trying to remind you of. This is a special day for me.”
And your new wife is a damned bitch, I don’t like her and I don’t want to be around the two of you, is what I wanted to say and what I should’ve said, instead, my reply was, “Fine, Xavier, I’ll be there.”
Reaching across the table, he took my free hand in his and kissed it gently. “Thank you.”
Despite my smile, what I was saying to my ex in my head wasn’t nice at all. “I have to go,” I said. “Kendall’s going to be done with her dance rehearsal soon. You will be here for her recital next Sunday, right?”
“Umm, I think . . .”
“I think you’d better be there or I’m going to kick your ass.” Rising to my feet, I was beginning to see another reason why Xavier and I had divorced. He was quite the disappointment and he was selfish. “Kendall will be looking for you and if I show up at this reception of yours, you’d better have your ass on the front row watching our baby dance like a swan.”
Xavier gave me a mock salute. “Yes, ma’am. And Pilar, thanks.”
Turning my back to him, I grabbed my purse and car keys. I was not going to tell him that he was welcomed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman rapes a dead man and gets pregnant

Django Unchained or The live version of Catcher Freeman

We can be so petty