Marvin Gaye's Here My Dear, the soundtrack of pain

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of old school and old school sounding artists. And by old school sounding artists, I mean people who can sing. Shout out to Lalah Hathaway! If you don't have her new release, Where It All Begins, you're missing out!

So, I'm sitting here trying to write this scene about a family in crisis and iTunes begins to play Marvin Gaye's When Did You Stop Loving Me from the Here, My Dear album. When many of us think of Marvin, we immediately go to the sexy tunes, Sexual Healing and Let's Get It On (yeah, I was listening to Marvin when I came up with that title), but on HMD, Marvin was mad as hell.

I guess you can't blame him, he was going through a very public divorce with Berry Gordy's sister, Anna. (Anna's Song is the ultimate middle finger to an ex.) He settled the case in a very public way with this double album. At the time, superstars weren't on reality TV and putting us all up in their business. Hell, Anna thought about suing Marvin over the album —invasion of privacy, she said.

This is the greatest Marvin Gaye album ever, though. You hear his pain, anger and hopefulness. He even shouts out the new wife on this album, that's just gangsta.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Now Playing: A Funky Space Reincarnation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman rapes a dead man and gets pregnant

We can be so petty

Django Unchained or The live version of Catcher Freeman