Sorry, John we can't just watch TV

Dear John Schneider,

Do you mind if I call you John? Frankly I don't care if you do or don't. I grew up watching the Dukes of Hazzard because I had no choice. There were three channels, I was a kid and if my grandmother was watching TV you just watched it.


As I learned who General Lee was and what the flag on the top of your orange car meant, I started reading book rather than watch your show. I'm not going to lie, I do some times hop in my car through the window. But your flippant response to the way people feel about that flag is very telling.
Remember, you Tweeted this bull:

Earlier Wednesday, the actor tweeted a photo of Charleston terrorist Dylan Roof burning a U.S. flag while clad in a Gold’s Gym shirt, lest we forget that the ridiculous act of pulling The Dukes Of Hazzard off the air was perpetuated by nine people being murdered. “I am grossly offended by the flag burning. But…is the Gold’s Gym logo to be considered a symbol of racism as well now?,” Schneider asked. (To be fair, the Ku Klux Klan never waved the Gold’s Gym banner while instigating a lynching.) --Source Avclub.com

But hey, it's just TV? The image of the flag doesn't mean anything good for someone who looks like me. But it's in my face every damned day. I don't want to see it on your car as you play a good ol' boy running from the cops, when in real life, I have to worry if my nephew will get shot while jogging and a cop is around.
Let's be real, you're made about the royalties you won't be getting. You don't give a damn about what that flag represents. Just because the fictional character you played on TV wasn't "racist" it doesn't mean the KKK is following in your footsteps. And this quote from the Hollywood Reporter really speaks to your character.

Throwing this particular baby out with the bathwater seems reactionary and overly PC to me. If the flag was a symbol of racism, then Bo and Luke and Daisy and Uncle Jesse were a pack of wild racists, and that could not be further from the truth.”

What I hate about these people saying it's just TV is that you folks are acting as if this shit was ever OK. IT. WAS. NEVER. OK!

So, I'm sorry, John, we can't watch TV. If accusations pulled the Cosby Show off TV, a terrorist act in a historic black church is good reason to pull this off as well.

Don't you have a new show to promote anyway?
In other words, please have a seat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman rapes a dead man and gets pregnant

Django Unchained or The live version of Catcher Freeman

We can be so petty