Open letter to Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles . . .


Hey, Vi.
Girl, where have you been?
There's a whole pandemic going on and the citizens of the City of Charlotte, the ones you duped, I mean who voted for you and swallowed your campaign promises,  haven't heard a word from you.

Let's face facts, Charlotte mayors are figure heads. The city manager and council run the city. Clearly the police too, but we'll get there in a minute.
Not only have you been missing, but you've changed.

 I was proud in 2017 that my adopted home of Charlotte, NC had its first woman mayor who was African American. But my grandma was right, all your skin folk aren't your kin folk. But you tricked me, sis. I remember when you stood for something.
Following the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott in September 2016, (Lyles) proposed a seven-point plan to reduce racial and class divisions in the city, parts of which were approved by the council.
It's four years later and here we are—again.
So, you sat out the pandemic and while I have no proof, and this is just my opinion, you've sold out the city. But Friday night, you claimed to care about the people on Beatties Ford Road. All because Food Lion was damaged.
I watched in disbelief as you talked about one of the most gentrified areas in the city where residents have been forced out and hipsters have gleefully taken over. What happened to the affordable housing task forces. Cause, you love a good Taskforce. I'll tell you this, you can talk. You love talking.
And on Saturday when you asked the Black sororities and fraternities to be your window dressing while you talked again, I was done.
I'm still done.

I want to know where this Vi Lyles is:

"It's an incredible honor to be elected Mayor of Charlotte in such a historical election," Lyles said in a news release. "As I've often said throughout my campaign, I can walk through any part of Charlotte, and I expect to be a mayor for all."
I don't even recognize you anymore and I hate being duped. But that's clearly what you did to the city of Charlotte. I mean, like mayors across the country you can point at Minneapolis and that killing of George Floyd. But Charlotte should sweep around her own front door and Vi, you need to be holding the broom or get swept out with the dust, whatever.
But are we going to forget that Keith Lamont Scott was killed while sitting his car. That the officer who shot him is still on the job? That the Mecklenburg County DA never charges cops, whether a killing is caught on camera or not?
And then there was the killing of Danquirs Franklin last year. March, 2019 ( probably the last time we saw you as a city leader, but I digress).
Maybe my lying eyes deceived me, but the body cam video from the killer cop showed Danquirs putting the gun down as he was ordered to. But here we were again watching the death of a Black person at the hands of the police that we pay with out tax dollars. Maybe that day you were securing that RNC contract, girl I don't know.
But don't ride your high horse of Charlotte is different when you talk about police killings because CMPD, Minneapolis Police, NYPD, all the same.
And you know folks are angry out here. You know there are folks who are scared, because HELLO, still a pandemic.
Yet, this is your concern?

“I always want to remind people that if you disrupt the convenience store or the small restaurant there, that’s going to be a huge difference during a pandemic to the survival of that business,” Lyles added. “That’s one of the things we’re so carefully talking to those owners of small businesses in the city right now.”
Two quick questions?

  • Where was this concern about small businesses when the pandemic first started? 
  • What happened to you? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman rapes a dead man and gets pregnant

Django Unchained or The live version of Catcher Freeman

We can be so petty