Paula Deen, chile please!

Sixty-six year old Paula Deen was a culinary hero to a lot of people.
I was not one of them.
There was always something about the buttery cake queen that I didn't like. I couldn't quite put my finger on it -- then her deposition was released.

There it is!

Paula says she used the N-word because she just doesn't know what offends people. News flash, Paula, the n-word is offensive. Now her old ass senile behind wants everyone to forgive her because she's an elderly Southern lady.

I call BULL!

And basically, she's hoping that her age and her southern heritage will make her fans pretend that all this never happened. Here's a statement released Thursday from her legal team, via ABC
“During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today...She was born 60 years ago when America’s South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today...To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination.”
Deen, in case you forgot, underwent a deposition related to an employment discrimination lawsuit. During it, she answered a question about whether she's used the N-word with "Yes, of course...It’s just what they are — they’re jokes... most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks... I can’t determine what offends another person."  
Maybe Deen, 66, has put her N-word uttering days behind her, at least after entering the world of celebrity. Except, according to the deposition, there's the other part of Deen's tone-deaf take on how to be a not racist person living in the present: in 2007, she fantasized about hiring an all-black staff to for what she admits to characterizing as a “really southern plantation wedding." While Deen has denied saying the content of the specific accusation in the suit, including that Deen used the N-word to describe the men, she did describe a scenario that doesn't sound much better: 
“I remember telling them about a restaurant that my husband and I had recently visited. And I’m wanting to think it was in Tennessee or North Carolina or somewhere, and it was so impressive...The whole entire wait staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie. I mean, it was really impressive. And I remember saying I would love to have servers like that, I said, but I would be afraid that somebody would misinterpret.”
Paula, honey, stop talking. As an old ass Southern lady, you know damn well that what you said was wrong. And people with sense won't forget that. Now, I need you to admit that you stole your recipes from that black lady who cooked for your family.


Comments

Cherlisa said…
Cheris, I agree completely. Her comments are totally unacceptable. I saw on Facebook where one African-American found no problem with what she said "because it was said behind closed doors and everyone says things when they think no one is listening." This may not be her exact words but I used quotations to make it clear these are not MY words. I completely disagree with that way of thinking. Racism is wrong no matter whose using the words. To me Paula's apology was insincere because she said what was in her heart. The apology is only because of the backlash.

I was a fan of hers but I am not any longer. I hope enough of her fans are disgusted by her antics that she feels the impact. Did she really steal her recipes or were you making an educated guess as well as being sarcastic?
Cheris Hodges said…
Cherlisa, that was sarcasm wrapped in a deeply rooted belief that I can't back up with any proof. I was never a fan of Paula Deen. Her face really scared me.

Popular posts from this blog

Woman rapes a dead man and gets pregnant

We can be so petty

Django Unchained or The live version of Catcher Freeman