Slipping on the victim's shoes. . .Let Cuba have Florida

I think we should give Florida to Cuba. I love a lot of people in the Sunshine State, but I need y'all to move to Georgia, ASAP. Why should Florida be Cuba's? There are a myriad of reasons, but right now, I'm going to focus on the Jameis Winston situation.

Florida State and Duke played the ACC Championship game in my city last night, the same week that a laughing and jovial Florida State alum, masquerading as a state's attorney said Winston would not be charged for sexual assault allegations that were lodged against him.

 There was laughter. There were jokes. There were smiles. The news conference in which Florida state attorney Willie Meggs announced that Jameis Winston was not going to be charged with sexual battery was an extremely light-hearted affair.
Everyone seemed so incredibly happy to be talking about an alleged sexual assault.
Reporter: "Was there a sexual assault?"
Meggs, laughing: "Well, that's kind of why we're here."
Way to stand up for a victim, Meggs. Then again, since the victim in this case came forward, she's been treated as if SHE DID SOMETHING WRONG.

Then consider the strong words from the accuser's lawyer that she was advised by the police not to press charges, and this looks like a group of authorities in a stereotypical small town fumbling their legal responsibilities because they were so smitten by their football team.
Reporter: "Any idea why she was hesitant to tell you who her boyfriend was?"
Meggs: "Well, tell us about your girlfriend."
More laughs. It was a regular riot, with that smiling former state senator, Al Lawson, standing in the background, playing Ed McMahon to Meggs' Johnny Carson.
Can you imagine what the alleged victim thought of that scene? What about a woman in Tallahassee who today is dealing with sexual assault? Or any victim of any crime, male or female? It had to be disheartening, if not downright chilling, to watch that.
That's the face of justice in northern Florida in the 21st century? My goodness.
I'm going to take it a step further. As a woman watching and reading this, my ovaries are quivering. I feel as if my body means nothing to the law when a football championship is at stake. I'm scared, devalued and I want to crawl into a hole where no one will ever touch me again.

Or maybe I want to apply for a gun permit and get a pistol. Then, I'm going to go get trained by a woman instructor on how to use this gun. The next time some one hurts me, I am not going to call 9-1-1. I'm going to stand my damned ground. After all, reporting a crime is going to be hard on me in a football town like Tallahassee, what will a trial do to me?
The statement from the accuser’s family:
“The victim and her family appreciate the State Attorney’s efforts in attempting to conduct a proper investigation after an inordinate delay by the Tallahassee Police Department.
“The victim in this case had the courage to immediately report her rape to the police and she relied upon them to seek justice.
“The victim has grave concerns that her experience, as it unfolded in the public eye and through social media, will discourage other victims of rape from coming forward and reporting.”
Here's what we've learned from this situation, famous or popular men can commit sexual assault, but if random Joe does it, he may or may not get charged. But you can best believe there will be an attempt at an investigation. Yeah, Florida is Cuba's bastard child. Dear Castro, come get your baby. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman rapes a dead man and gets pregnant

Django Unchained or The live version of Catcher Freeman

We can be so petty