Celebrating Women's History Month with Joy Avery

Get Your Copy Here.

Joy Avery

























When did you fall in love with romance?
I fell in love with romance after reading my first Brenda Jackson novel. I had been writing in a different genre until I read her book and knew this was the type of book I wanted to write.

How long have you been writing about minority characters?
I’ve been writing about minority characters since my pen first hit paper, over ten years ago. Black love fills me and I celebrate it with each love story I write.


When you started writing, what was your motivation?
Loving the written word was my motivation behind starting to write. I enjoyed watching my characters and their worlds come to life on the page.


When was your first romance novel published?
My first romance novel was published in January 2014. Smoke in the Citi. It’s a second chance at love romance.


What is the first thing you thought when you got fan reaction to your book?
The first thing I thought when I got fan reaction to my book was: Woohoo! I was thrilled that people were reading and enjoying it. It gave me motivation to write the next.


Who are some of your favorite AOC?
Some of my favorite authors of color are: Beverly Jenkins, Brenda Jackson, Deborah Fletcher Mello, Reese Ryan, W. Parks Brigham, just to name a few.


What is your favorite romance novel?
My favorite romance novel, hands down, is INDIGO by Beverly Jenkins.

How would you describe your novels?
The way I would describe my novels is: Real characters. Real journeys. Real good love.


If you had the choice to put one of your books on screen, which one would it be and why?
If I had the choice to put one of my books on screen, it would be A Gentleman’s Agreement. It has a little drama, a lot of love, and fun, relatable characters.

Who would you cast in the movie as the hero and the heroine?

Ooo, that’s a hard one. Maybe Robert Christoper Riley as the hero; Regina Hall as the heroine.

Comments

Joy Avery said…
Thank you for having me, Cheris!

Popular posts from this blog

Woman rapes a dead man and gets pregnant

We can be so petty

Django Unchained or The live version of Catcher Freeman