Celebrating Women's History Month with Kathy Douglass

Kathy Douglass

Click Here to get your copy!




















Kathy Douglass writes sweet romance that makes you laugh and cry. And I want to move to Sweet Briar tomorrow!


When did you fall in love with romance?
I fell in love with romance when I was in high school. I found my older sister’s books and after reading a few I was hooked. I read every book I could get my hands on. I drifted away for a while and read a lot of horror stories. After being scared silly, I returned to romance where I have stayed.

How long have you been writing about minority characters?
I’ve always written about minority characters. From my really, really bad first book that has never seen the light of day, to the one I’m working on now, my hero and heroine have always been African-American. There may be minor characters whose race is not defined, but the main characters are always African-American.

When you started writing, what was your motivation? 
I started writing when my kids were in pre-school. While they were in class, I had a whopping two hours and fifteen minutes to myself four days a week. The school was far enough away that it didn’t make sense to go home. At first I did my grocery shopping (alone!) and ran other errands. The pre-school was near a college campus, so after a while I started going to the library. They had used books for sale for a quarter, so I started picking up the old romances and reading them. After a while, I had read all of them. Story ideas started flitting through my mind and I thought to myself that I could write one.

At first I wrote just to fill the time and to amuse myself. After a while, I wrote because I wanted to see my books in the stores.

When was your first romance novel published?
My first romance was published in February, 2017.

What is the first thing you thought when you got fan reaction to your book?
Wow! I couldn’t believe someone not related to me had actually written an email letting me know she liked my book. It was a surreal moment.

Who are some of your favorite AOC?
I’m going to keep this list to 10. In no particular order -

Francis Ray
Farrah Rochon
Cheris Hodges
Rochelle Alers
Reese Ryan
Phyllis Bourne
Ann Christopher
Carolyn Hector
Piper Huguley
Beverly Jenkins

What is your favorite romance novel?
Trouble Don’t Last Always by Francis Ray.

How would you describe your novels?
I write sweet, small town contemporary romances.

If you had the choice to put one of your books on screen, which one would it be and why?
I would choose How to Steal the Lawman’s Heart because it’s the first book in the Sweet Briar Sweethearts series. It introduced characters who eventually get books of their own.

Who would you cast in the movie as the hero and the heroine?
The models I used in my pinterest board were Henry Simmons and Rochelle Aytes so I’d cast them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman rapes a dead man and gets pregnant

Django Unchained or The live version of Catcher Freeman

We can be so petty