Chatting with Kianna Alexander. . .making history sexy




 Kianna Alexander, also known as Alexandra Kane is an empire in the making. She writes lovely historic romances, plans amazing book events and brings Hot Southern Writers together. This woman can do anything she wants to do and looks amazing while doing it.
 Some times you meet people and you feel like you've known them all of your life, that's what it's like when you meet Ms. Kianna. And then you read her books and wonder -- where have you been all of my life.
 

     What drew you to writing historical romances?
I. love. Beverly. Jenkins. I can't even explain how much I love her books. Combine that with a natural curiosity I've always had about American history, and writing historical romance is pretty much unavoidable. Plus, I don't think there are enough African American/ interracial/ multicultural historical books looking at all the facets of American history, so I'm trying to fill that void. I love doing the research- I always find some interesting tidbit that stays with me. Like, I discovered there's an old church here in North Carolina, in what is now Winston Salem, where slaves were in a Sunday service in 1865 when they found out they were free. The building is still standing today- can you imagine the shouting that went down in that church all those years ago when the news of freedom came? I can.


      You also write steamy urban fantasy, do you have a favorite genre?

Historical and contemporary category romances are definitely my favorite. The paranormal/urban fantasy/ new adult books were my way of "stretching" as a writer- trying something outside the box, to test my abilities, and to learn more about myself as a writer. They were a lot of fun to write, but they don't sell as well as my historicals and contemporary- so I'm not sure if I'll write any more of them now that the PHOENIX Files trilogy is done. I suppose I could be persuaded if enough readers asked, but we'll just have to see.


  Tell the readers about your latest titles.

My latest releases are:
Midnight's Serenade: PHOENIX Files Book 3- the last in the paranormal/urban fantasy/new adult romance trilogy, under my Alexandra Kane pen name. I like the way it ended- readers will tell me if they agree. :)
I also recently released the print version of The Preacher's Paramour, the second in my Roses of Ridgeway sweet historical series. It came out April and I'm currently working on the last in that trilogy.

     What’s the best piece of writing advice you were ever given? 

I was having a very hard time selling a story very near and dear to my heart, about a runaway slave and a quadroon doctor in the late 1840's. Five or six publishers had rejected it and I was about to tuck it away under my bed, never to be seen again. I felt this book needed and deserved the broader audience a publishing house could provide, so I didn't want to self publish it. I was at the end of my rope. Beverly Jenkins told me to write the book of my heart, and everything else would fall into place. Sure enough, I sold it when an editor finally saw my vision. It's now titled Freedom's Embrace, and is coming this summer from Ellora's Cave.

    How can readers follow you online?
Twitter: @AuthorAlexandra
Youtube: MsEboni82
Got an Android phone or tablet? Download my author app in the Google Play store: Search "Kianna Alexander"- the image is of a purple flower.
I also have profiles on Goodreads, Shelfari, Manic Readers, and The Romance Reviews. I know, I'm everywhere :)

And you can meet Kianna Alexander in Charlotte on May 18th

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman rapes a dead man and gets pregnant

Django Unchained or The live version of Catcher Freeman

We can be so petty