Waiting For The Other Shoe To Drop: Part 30



Needless to say, David’s corn was amazing and we began what I thought was the most drama free courtship ever. This was obviously how adults dated. We’d make plans and he’d keep them. He even tried my tofu – once. We traveled together, most of the time for his DJing gigs. The sex was always amazing – especially when he lifted me in his arms and thrust into me as if the world was about to come to an end.
So, six months in I had no idea that I’d be waiting for the other shoe to fall on my head. It started at work when the city hired a new city manager who clashed with Sonia and everyone in the department.
Sonia was normally a cool customer, but when the new manager began an audit of our department, she used curse words that I didn’t even know existed.
“I’ve been doing my fucking job for ten years and this mealy mouth motherfucker comes in here trying to tell me how to do my job? He read a book about urban development; I’ve done enough research in this city to write that got damned book!”
I stood there holding the report that she’d requested, unsure if I should hand it off to her or close the door and allow her to vent further. When she stood up and started stalking back and forth like a caged panther, I dropped the file on her desk and closed the door.
“I know what’s going on here. I’ve seen other cities do the same shit. You load one side of town up with low income housing and keep the rich people safe from the dirty poor folks. It helps when you have a mayor calling the east side a corridor of crap.”
“Sonia, you’re going to have convince him and the city council that these new plans aren’t what are best for the entire city,” I said, hoping that my mentor didn’t have a heart attack where she stood.
“No one is listening to me. Or reading the years of research that we have about spreading low income housing throughout the city to stimulate the economy. What the city manager wants to do is total bullshit.”
Her phone buzzed. “Sonia, Peter is here to see you.”
The sound of the city manager’s name made Sonia swear even more. “Does he have an appointment?”
“Are you serious?” her assistant whispered.
“If he isn’t on my calendar, tell him to make an appointment. I’m in a meeting.”  Sonia clicked her phone off and turned to me. “If I were you, I’d polish my resume.”
“You think the city is going to let you go?”
Sonia smirked then rolled her eyes. “I doubt anyone in this department will have a job after the election.”
All I could do was pray that she was wrong. But after our talk, I did set up a profile on CareerBuilder.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman rapes a dead man and gets pregnant

Django Unchained or The live version of Catcher Freeman

We can be so petty